Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Chapter 3: Egypt

 
Chapter 3: Egypt
 
 
So here we are - sitting on a plane, on our way half way across the world to Egypt, of all places. Not to mention the fact that I'm with a sixteen-year-old girl who's practically a stranger - and here I am sneaking her out of the country...Oh boy. What the hell was I thinking!
 
I look over at Piper and she seems to be more worried than I am, so I put my fear aside and muster up a smile. "What's wrong, aren't you excited to find your mom?" I ask, trying to sound cheerful.
 
"Oh...Yeah, I am, I'm just a bit...Er...Nervous." She says, I can tell by her voice that something is up.
 
 
"Listen to me, Piper, everything is going to be fine - I promise." I say, trying to make her feel better. When in reality I had no idea how everything was going to be - and even if I did, I bet 'fine' sure wouldn't have been it.
 
"Okay," She says in a not totally convincing happy voice.

 
"So what makes you think she's in Egypt?" I ask.
 
"Um, well, my whole life I've looked through old documents and photos around my house...Searching. I'm pretty confident that she'll be there." She said, but I didn't sense a hint of confidence in her tone.
 
"I really hope we can find her," I say, "What's her name?" I ask.
 
She pauses for a moment, "Taiya Hatshepsut" She says finally, giving me a weak smile.

 
"Erika?" Sofia asks, trying to take her mind off of the fact that they're in a plane. Sofia hates planes.
 
"Yeah, Sof?" Erika asks, totally oblivious to their current altitude.
 
"Where exactly did you get that shirt?" Sofia asks, raising an eyebrow.
 
"The airport gift shop, of course! Don't you love it?" Erika says enthusiastically, admiring the little mummy on her shirt.
 
"Uh...Sure," Sofia says, giggling at her friend.

 
"Okay, I can't do this anymore - I want off!" Sofia demands furiously.
 
"Calm down, girl, we're almost there!" Erika reassures her, now giggling at Sofia.

 
"Yeah, Sof, look out your window!" I say, admiring the beautiful view below...
 
 
The scene is unbelievable; the sand, the pyramids - it's astonishing! I watch mesmerized as we descend down to the desert oasis - it's like nothing I've ever seen before.

 
We walk up to our camp after the long plane ride, but we all agree that the journey was worth it.
 
"This place, it's...Magical!" Sofia enthuses, I can tell she is overcome with emotion.
 
"I can't believe your mom gets to live here!" I say to Piper, then realizing that it probably wasn't the best thing to say - luckily I don't think anyone was paying attention.

 
"So...Where's the hotel?" Erika asks.
 
I let out a burst of laughter, "We're sleeping here, in the tents," I say.
 
"Uh-uh - Hell no! Do you see this hair? I need some air-conditioning, stat!" She demands, feeling her now frizzing hair in horror.
 
"Erika, this was all they had...Your hair will be fine," I say, trying to comfort her with a smile.
 
"Ugh," She sulks, pouting like a child.

 
"Why don't you and I look together, Piper?" Sofia suggests. It's probably best that way; Sofia has the best sense of direction out of all of us.
 
"Sure, okay," Piper says, her voice lacking emotion.

 
"We should split up, we'll cover more ground that way," I suggest to Erika.
 
At first she seems put off by the idea, but she eventually comes around. "Er...Fine," She mutters.

 
"Great! You go door to door and ask locals if they've heard of a Taiya Hatshepsut and I'll go search the market, okay?" I ask.
 
"Okay, whatever," She says, more interested in her hair. Her face suddenly lights up, "Maybe I'll meet a cute Egyptian guy!" She enthuses.
 
I roll my eyes and nod, laughing a little, "Okay, Erika..." I say, doubtfully.

 
I arrive at a beautiful market in the heart of Egypt, and I am suddenly greeted by a stunning woman.
 
"Hello, darling, care to buy something?" She asks. I pause for a moment, and she catches on to my confusion. "Oh, this must be your first time in Egypt - welcome!" She says, offering me a warm smile and shaking my hand.

 
"Thank you," I say politely, "but I'm actually here looking for someone-"
 
"Oh, darling, why didn't you say so! I have the perfect guy for you - come now!" She says, pulling me away before I have a chance to object.
 
 
"This is my dear friend, Fahad, he is very sweet, strong," she pauses and whispers, "and a passionate lover," She adds with a wink and giggle.
 
"Okay, um, gross...But I'm not looking for a man," I start and she raises an eyebrow, "I'm looking for a woman...A missing woman."
 
"Oh! Why didn't you say so, I know everyone here! What is her name?" She asks, smiling patiently.
 
I pause for a moment, trying to remember, "Uh...Something Hatshepsut-" The lady bursts out into laughter. I wait for a moment, "What?" I finally ask, feeling confused and slightly offended.

 
She pauses her laughter, "The only Hatshepsut around here is Queen Hatshepsut! I can show you her tomb if you like?" She asks, and resumes laughing.
 
"It's okay..." I say, feeling shocked and confused.

 
I leave the lady in the shop and head outside, picking up my phone to call Erika.
 
"Hello?" She asks, I hear a man in the background.
 
"Hey, it's me. Where are you? I have to tell you something...Like now!" I say, worriedly.
 
"85 Pharaoh Lane, meet me here, okay?" She says, hanging up before I can answer - something was very odd about that call... 

 
I nervously approach the house at the address she gave me, knocking twice. I pause...Nothing. I notice a crack in the door, and decide to enter...

 
"Erika!" I scream, throwing a hand over my mouth. I stare at her, stunned, as she continues to make out with the Egyptian man.

 
Finally she stops, and I approach her, "Um..."
 
"His name  is Youssef," she starts, whispering the next part, "I think we're in love!"
 
I raise an eyebrow, still trying to fathom what I just saw, "Uh, that's great, but I really have to tell you something-"

 
"Lillian!" I hear from a voice come from behind me and I turn around to see Sofia, "I've been chasing after you for like ten minutes!" She tells me frantically.
 
"What's the matter?" I ask, feeling completely confused by this point.

 
She takes a deep breath, "It's Piper...She's missing!"
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment